Tuesday 5 June 2012

SPEND LESS, WASTE LESS - SHOPPING AT THE MARKET IS GOOD FOR YOUR POCKET

If, like me, you're fed up with wasting food because the supermarket doesn't sell most things in individual portion sizes, the market is an ideal place to shop.  Not only will you be able to buy just as much or as little as you need, you'll also be saving yourself money too.  How many times have you gone to clean out the fridge and ended up throwing away food because there was too much for your needs?

This is where the market comes in.  The supermarkets tend to pack things such as fruit and vegetables in large "bargain" sized quantities.  Tomatoes come at least 6 to the pack, apples come by the kilo, oranges and satsumas come pre-packed in a net, even bananas are wrapped in "value" sized quantities!  This is fine if you are going to eat all of the food before it gets past it's best but not everyone needs or wants to buy so much at once.

I have completely changed my shopping habits because I could be heard complaining loudly to anyone who would listen that supermarkets should cater for the single person and that I was fed up with having to buy far more than I needed.  Now I do all of my fresh food shopping at the market and I couldn't be happier.  I can choose exactly what I want in the quantities that I know I will use and I save money too. Supermarkets look at you as if you've gone crazy if you ask for 2 sausages or 1/4 pound of meat but the butcher on Glossop Indoor Market is more than happy to sell me exactly what I need and he'll also give me his expert advise on what's in season and what's likely to save me even more money.

The same goes for buying my fresh fruit and vegetables.  At Adam Corbally's stall on Glossop Outdoor Market I can buy one tomato or 4 or 5 new potatoes and know I'm going to use them and that the quality is excellent.  If I want one banana, a couple of apples, an orange and a small bunch of grapes this is exactly what I get and nothing is going to be thrown away at the end of the week because I couldn't eat it all.

The cheese and cooked meat stall on Glossop Indoor Market will also go out of their way to ensure that I can buy their products in quantities that are right for me and they have a fantastic range to choose from, plus, I can taste before I buy so I know I'll like what I'm getting.

I can buy one bread roll if that's all I need from Glossop Indoor Market bread counter and there's a fantastic deli where I can treat myself to a few olives or a slice or two of deli meats.

I've got a bit of a sweet tooth which I can indulge at Gill and Kevins stall on Glossop Outdoor Market where they sell a great range of cakes, biscuits, sweets and other "naughty but nice" treats!  I can also buy my tea, coffee and soft drinks from them knowing that I'm paying well under supermarket prices for quality goods.  Many of their cakes are top of the range, big brand name seconds, they may be a little squashed in places but they still taste good and are very reasonably priced so I can treat myself and the grandchildren without breaking the bank!

I have to say that since I changed my shopping habits I'm also eating a lot better, wasting less and saving money which is great so why don't you give it a try too.

No comments:

Post a Comment